Today marks a year that my sweet Grandaddy left this earth. I miss him dearly and I know that he is looking down on us smiling and enjoying how Jenna is growing and maturing. Grandaddy was a man of few words, but when he spoke you better listen b/c it was important. He taught me so many things. When I was younger, my summers were with him and Grandma Ann. Mom would drop me off in the morning and I could play and go with grandma AFTER I finished my workbooks. Yes, I had to do school work in the summer. The summer of 2nd grade, my grandma bought me 4 math workbooks and I had to complete at least 2 pages before I could go outside. They had a little desk in the living room and I had to sit at it and work in my books. I used to hate it, but now I thank them for that. My grandaddy drilled me everyday on my multiplication tables and by the end of the summer I knew all of them. 7 x 9 always gave me a fit, but he knew it so he drilled me every time. I would run into grandmas house and sit on his lap and kiss his forehead. I remember when him and grandma took me to the mountains when I was little and we went to Dollywood. That was so much fun. I conned my grandma on getting on the water logs with me and we were soaked the rest of the day. They were just that kind of grandparents always willing to do for me and for others. Grandaddy taught me the value of a dollar and how you had to work hard to get what you wanted. I will not ever forget the morning that I got the call that he had passed, but he was 83 years old and he was tired. He had gotten Alzheimer's and he hardly knew who I was sometimes, but he lit up when he saw Jenna. The picture below is his last Christmas. We couldn't get Jenna to take a nap, so we put her in his lap. She snuggled right down and feel asleep. He was so sweet and he sat there for 45 minutes without moving. I told him I would pick her up and lay her down but he said no. He loved that time and I know that he will never forget it. Since, granddaddy's passing, I have been to church almost every Sunday. I started going just to be a support to my grandma since I am her only grandchild and my dad is her only child, but I found the love for God that I had when I was little and I have been going for awhile b/c I WANT to go not for just someone else. I know that Grandaddy would be proud of me and that is my goal is to always try to be the person that he wanted me to be. Him and grandma have done so much for me ( bought me my first car, paid for my college, provided to help Josh and I with money for our new house, and all of the special moments and lessons along the way). I hope to be the granddaughter that he can look down on and still say "That's my granddaughter and be proud to say it"! Love you Grandaddy a bushel and a pec and a hug around the neck!!!
Monday, March 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment